Monday, March 10, 2008

If You've Said Seven, You've Said Too Much

Chitarita has me fascinated with the Six Word Memoir. I spent my whole drive home thinking of how I could summarize my life in six words.



It's hard to do, summarizing the state of your life thus far in six words. Although it was my first thought, I shied away from my first idea, "Can I wear capri pants yet?". My disdain for long pants weather is great, but it doesn't define me.



Then I started playing with something to illustrate the happy accident this ride has been so far. I never thought I'd be happy after I transferred to a new high school. I ended up at a University I'd tried to avoid, and I always thought I'd be something more glamorous than an English teacher.



So I tried on, "Huh, never thought I'd love this". Almost works, but I'd like perhaps to allow that my future could be something I'd dreamed. Maybe I'd even release this idea that I could plan my entire life and enjoy the chaos. So I dropped that idea.



If I were to find one quality that's been with me as long as I can remember and I'd keep for the rest of my life, it's my sense of humor. It came from my family and might be the best gift they've given me. So I have my six words. At age 36 and a half, I'd characterize my life with the six words



"Just me, or is this funny?"



Enjoy other people's memoirs and share your own!



Six-Word Memoir book preview from SMITHmag on Vimeo.

2 comments:

H said...

"Did I say that out loud?"

The Crib Chick said...

We could share with the world what we're planning for our *joint* memoir...

"I Say This Only To You..."