Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Long Lost Normal

I have gotten so used to abnormal that somehow I learned to accept it as normal.

First there was testing and my administration's pre-testing Festival Of Panic. During the week of testing, my family began the hospital ordeal, which plodded into summer, which only seemed like summer because it was hot but even then I spent most of early summer in the air conditioned hospital.

Then it all caved in.

Then I left town with kids, then I came home for two days then I left again. For a month. For that month, I became accustomed to a poetic, honest, hilarious, intelligent normal. It was a glorious break, and I spent the month both relishing it and bracing myself for the new normal I would find at home.

And then I came home. And somehow, I am a teacher again.

Starting school has been walking through jello. Today, though, there was a moment. I was with the kids I'd had for years (along with some new ones) and as they settled into a quick reading and I sat down at my desk to do attendance, someone asked a question and I looked up and--without thinking--smiled. I felt it again. Normal. The normal I've missed since April.

It left me later on, but I was glad to have it visit today. I'll be hoping it comes back for another visit.