Dear me, there is a world outside of the Bible belt!! I am at Smith College in Northampton, MA and have a list of HUGE differences!! Catastrophic differences that make me wonder if I might be able to do without great big iced down peach teas and cokes and MOVE!!!
- One can walk to anything in this town and even with temps in the 90's and insane humidity, I am quite the happy pedestrian. Did you know it's state law here to yeild for pedestrians? Geez, at home, anyone not driving an SUV is a pedestrian.
- There are two movie theatres in town and both are art houses. Mmmmm......movies.
- I'll risk sounding like Ellie Mae Clampett here, but I saw me a play last week that was reviewed by the New York Times! And I mostly agree with the review!
- The food service guy in our tiny dining hall reads Food and Wine magazine. Often.
- The grafitti says things like "Biophillic Revolution!"
- and yes, Virginia, there is yarn.
Expect additions to this list...it's quite an experience. Meanwhile, you might read my new friend's view of the experience.