Sunday, September 18, 2005

I've Lived My Life From Both Sides Now...

...and the fact that I am using a Judy Collins song to write about the Beastie Boys may prove that point.

This weekend's yard sale was a raging success for my parents. We sold most everything we set out to ditch, and were able to donate our unsold goods quickly and easily.

But not until I was able to rescue a couple of memories. Among them was my cassette copy of The Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill album. How shocked I was to discover I still knew most of the words (I can't find my keys most mornings and it takes me three weeks to learn the names of my students, but I have entire albums from the '80's memorized. Go ahead, analyze.)!

One of the advantages to knowing so many lyrics is being able to conduct a conversation with a musical artist during a song. Observe...

"You miss two classes and no home-work!"
"Are you sure?", I think? "You probably didn't check."
"But your teacher teaches class like you're some kind of
jerk!!"
"Yeeeaaah, I bet you earned that."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, me and you could go line for line on that album.