Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Nail That Sticks Up Gets Hammered Down

The English II team had one wish going into this year. We dreamed a dream that all the students in our English II classes would have passed English I. We dared to share the dream with our Counseling Office and since no one told us it wouldn't happen, we assumed that our dream might come true.

...and you know what they say about those who assume.

I decided to speak up in the interest of our team and our students. In my three classes, I have ten students who haven't passed English I. The other two teachers have thirteen and eight. So I emailed. I was the one who spoke up in the interest of our team and my students and asked what should be done. I thought that perhaps I'd get an apology for the short-sightedness. I thought that perhaps I'd get an explanation as to why the only sections of repeater English all happen in the Spring. What I didn't think I'd get was a swift answer from the counselor.

"I've talked with Ms. Principal-in-charge-of-curriculum about this, and we've decided that we'll fix this. You will have an English I repeater class last period."

Hi. I'm the nail that sticks up. Don't suppose you have any ideas for repeater English I, huh?

No comments: