Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Crushing Disappointment: The Real Bear Necessity

There's new curriculum in Ms. Educat's Afterschool Club For Kids Who Don't Read Good (actually a credit recovery program for kids who've failed English). The kids have to read much more (hurrah!!) and write much more (Yay!!) and it's much more on a par with what we're doing during the day in classes.


The girl in the Insane Clown Posse hoodie (she wears it Every. Single. Day.) is getting ready to start the literature portion of the course and I excitedly inform her that she'll be reading The Jungle. I read that book as a wee girl with my father (Yep, it's the stuff that bedtime stories are made of in the Educat home. You know what our other favorite was? 83 Hours Til Dawn, the very creepy story of a kidnapped heiress who was buried alive!!). So I tell ICP hoodie she'll be reading The Jungle and her eyes light up too! It's magic!! She knows this book and is excited to reread it!!! When the words form, I'm rather deflated.



"Awesome!! You mean the book with that big blue bear and the nekkid
kid!?"




4 comments:

IMC Guy said...

Ha! That's hilarious. This is yet another reason why working with kids can bring the unpredictable to life!

The Crib Chick said...

I'm hoping you didn't say 'yes', just to keep the interest level high. ;o)

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

EV'er'body SING!!!!!!!!

"Look for the -BEAR necessities
The simple bear necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife!
I mean the bare necessities
That's why a bear can rest at ease
With just the bare necessities of life!"

See? That could apply to your testing season, too!!!!!

Anonymous said...

All I can think to say, is ... wow!
And I thought it was weird teaching math.