Friday, January 13, 2006

All Pending Knitting Projects Are Hereby Temporarily Tabled

Last Friday night, a yarn run with a good friend brought me a lovely skein of red chenielle at half price. I didn't know why I bought it, but the price was right.

I think I know now. The Orphan Foundation of America is sponsoring a Red Scarf Project drive. The goal is to offer handmade scarves as a part of a care package for college age foster children. If you live near an Enstein Bagel, you can drop yours off there, but if you don't you can ship it directly to them. If you're an OKC knitter, your scarf can catch a ride with mine. Let me know.

When I was growing up, my favorite stuff was always handmade by my mom. She is hands down the finest seamstress I know. She's mastered everything from fine english handsmocking to luggage (yes, I have hand sewn luggage from my mother). When I costumed in college, I remember not wanting her to see my sewing up close (Any OBU Theatre kids here remember me telling you to change out of your costume before greeting Dave and Shirl?). Her sewing is so perfect, you could almost wear it inside out. At my prom, I felt like a 1980's big haired version of Grace Kelly in my simple pink satin dress that my mom made and this Christmas, I got the best pajamas ever--complete with a handmade robe and slippers.

When she was a kid learning to sew, making your own clothes was a necessity. She grew up very poor and sewing was the way she looked good enough to match her peers. For me, sewing said something loving and special. I think that's why I picked up knitting. Sewing was...umm...ok for me. I never fully developed the skill, and it demands that I sit in the same spot all the time to work. I don't do that. Knitting travels with me and it gives me a way to show the love my mother shows me. I can't imagine someone who never has had someone make them something.

So Crib Chick, I have a package almost ready for you. It's gonna have to wait. Miss Harper, you have a couple of hats that will carry you for a short time (because I am sure you are already reading blogs). Your gown is on the needles and it'll keep for a day or two. Some kid never had anyone make them anything by hand and I have just the yarn to fix it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I voted for you, Educat, but that was before I kenw you knitted with chenille!!! I thought you paid attention in class...
Your knitting instructor

PS I hope you win.

Mrs. N said...

For handmade things, you can also donate to Project Linus. They take only handmade blankets and give them to kids birth to 19 that are in need of the security thast Linus gained from his blanket. There's a website, but I'm not sure of it right now, maybe http://www.projectlinus.org

educat said...

Knitting teacher, I am paying for the red chenielle. I have red fingers and red needles. As for chenielle overall, eh. I like the way the finished garment feels even though it doesn't stretch, etc.

mrs n, there is no shortage of charitable organizations that take handknitted items. I know of Project Linus and it's a good one. However, I am one woman and two needles so I don't know how quickly that project would materialize for me.