Wednesday, January 26, 2005

In The Future, Even Those Without Television Will Be Famous For Fifteen Minutes

It's hard for me to get my head around the idea that it was only fifteen years ago that I was "the" babysitter for a family. The Abarrs were a family in my home church with four homeschooled kids. They didn't own a television and as a result had the most creative kids ever.

Big fun for this family was diving into their huge collection of classic Broadway on vinyl. We played Jets and Sharks in the backyard. I won their hearts when I brought my copy of Annie over.

After the kids went to bed, I would curl up with a book. The parents would leave a book recommendation and they would come home to discuss the book with me for a moment before I would go home.

For teenage me, nothing beat the feeling of having adult friends who respected me in my own right. They sent me cards much of the way through college when they moved to Atlanta. I lost touch with them sometime in college but I still hear bits and pieces of them.

Now they will be appearing on Surprise By Design! Guess they got a TV at some point. The show airs on 1/31. If you see me shortly after that time, tell me I am young. I am not so sure I will feel it!

No comments: