Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Mercy Drops 'Round Us Are Falling, But For A Shower She Pleads...


...Or The Spinster is Registered at Target and Taco Bueno


I will begin this entry by declaring that I am indeed a product of my upbringing. I am very much pro-registry for bridal and baby showers and am usually thrilled to purchase gifts for loved ones on their happiest of days. I have done it for years. I am also quite happy with my present state of solitude. I am blessed with a multitude of friends and family and have a strong sense of community with those around me.

That aside, when do I get a stinking shower!?!

I have just returned from a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy a gift for...this guy. I babysat the kid once or twice growing up, our moms are friends, I was even his teacher for a year when he was in High School. However, I have spoken to this kid a maximum of three times since he graduated HS. Now I am invited to his out of town wedding and the accompanying shower. When heading out to examine his registry, there are no gifts in his price range and the only cookbooks (my favorite default gift for such events) in the store are The South Beach Diet and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Yeah, I could go somewhere else, but when you have a day off the maul do you really want to shop? I don't. What's a gal to do? Spend a bit more than I expected and hope the shower snacks are hearty.

Once again, God Bless Jill. She has benevolently offered to participate in my spinster shower without snickering. I invite you now, dear reader. I will have and register for a 40th Birthday Shower!! You have exactly seven years and 1 month to the day to prepare. More news on this in about six and a half years.

Jill has also promised to send a link to a blog examining the hilarity of baby names. Does this woman know my moods or what!? She promises to send it after her homeschool art lesson (where she is teaching art to her children. She is not hosting a mustachioed Frenchman with a smock and beret...although that would be fun) and I promise to blog it after laundry.

No comments: