Saturday, March 20, 2004

Homage to Nipsey Russell

"What," you say, "this is crazy, that Curt cat makes one comment and all of the sudden this witty and insightful commentary I have come to know on this blog goes they way of Nipsy Russell?" My answer to you, dear reader, is yes. What say you comment daily and give the new design a Four Bagel Rating guess then I might be taking requests from you?!

I remember watching game shows as a kid in the 70's with my sister and great grandmother. It was our only together time when she would babysit us as the afternoon brought time for "her stories" and I would go outside to read a book and my sister would...wreck something (she is really a charming woman now but she had this "boy my parents never had" stage).

We would answer questions along with her and she would marvel at our brains. "Someday" she would promise "I am going to take you girls to Hollywood and we will go on those game shows and make a million dollars because you girls are so smart!' I knew enough about long car trips at age 8 to know that this would truly be a nightmare but my sister recently shared that she actually believed Grandmother.

This brings me to Nipsey Russell. The website for Mr. Russell's talent agency refers to him as "The Poet Laureate of Television" and I remember with fondness the poems he would write on Match Game '76.

Ok, sorry, that is really all I have on Nipsey Russell without more research and, frankly, I have historical research on Black Like Me to have ready for Monday. Tonight with Jill promises more real screenplay work. I also plan to put the screws to her regarding her guest blog.

Blogger Ad Gnome, are you listening??

No comments: